Enjoy this recipe for luscious Leek & Roquefort Tarlets that were the 4th course during our Magic of Monterey Class at Deux earlier this month. The pungent Roquefort in these tartlets pairs well with both Cabernet Sauvignon and red Zinfandel. At our Magic of Monterey Class, we paired these with Scheid Family Vineyards Very Dark Red Blend - a full bodied yet supple wine with deep, ripe fruit flavors of black currant and black raspberry perfumed by delicate notes of crushed violet.
YIELD: 8, 5 in square tartlets; 8-16 servings
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 large leeks, rinsed and finely chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper 1 ¼ cups/170 g Roquefort cheese, crumbled
- ½ cup/120 ml creme fraiche
- One 17.3-oz/495-g package puff pastry (2 sheets), thawed if frozen
- Fresh thyme sprigs for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400°F/200°C/gas 6.
- Melt the butter in a frying pan over medium-low heat.
- Add the leeks, season with salt and pepper, and saute until softened but not browned, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool.
- Transfer the leeks to a large bowl, add the cheese and creme fraiche, and stir gently to mix.
- Roll out each pastry sheet on a lightly floured work surface into a 10-in/25-cm square.
- Cut each sheet into four squares.
- Using a small knife, score a ½-in/12-mm border around the inside edges of each square, being careful not to cut through the pastry.
- Arrange the squares on two rimmed baking sheets/trays.
- Position one rack in the top third of the oven and another rack in the bottom third of the preheated oven.
- Spoon the filling over the pastry squares, leaving a ½-in/12-mm border.
- Bake for 12 minutes.
- Rotate the baking sheets and continue to bake until the crusts are puffed and golden and the filling is cooked through, about 10 minutes more.
- Garnish the tarts with the thyme sprigs and serve.
Share this post
- 0 comment
- Tags: All Perfect Pairings, Course - Dinner, Drink - Wine, Food, Main Ingredient - Cheese, Main Ingredient - Vegetables