The Virginia Tourism Corporation has it right when they say "Virginia is for Craft Beer lovers". Over the last decade, the beer business in Virginia has rapidly grown but did you know August is Virginia Craft Beer Month? After a transformative legislation passed, the month long celebration was established to honor these masterminds and their impact on Virginia's economy.
Back in 2012 former Governor Bob McDonnell observed the influx in Virginia's craft beer industry and signed Senate Bill 604. This bill allowed the retail sales of beer on brewery premises and in public tasting rooms, ultimately transforming the state's industry. With the new legislation in motion, breweries were able to double their business by becoming the unique places where people craved to grab a notable craft beer and hang with friends.
Throughout the month of August be sure to get out and celebrate the Virginia Breweries and Brewers that diversify our state and beer industry. To search for breweries in your area, check out the directory on virginia.org where you can search breweries by city, locality, and region.
If you're looking for something extra fun, check out one of Virginia's Craft Beer Trails. The Virginia's Blue Ridge Cheers Trail takes you through some of the Roanoke Valley's breweries, wineries, and craft spirits producers! Breweries on the trail include:
- Ballast Point Brewing Company in Daleville
- Beale's in Bedford
- Big Lick Brewing Company in Roanoke
- Chaos Mountain Brewing in Callaway
- Deschutes Brewery Tasting Room in Roanoke
- Hammer & Forge Brewing Company in Boones Mill
- Ober Brewing Company in Salem
- Olde Salem Brewing Co. in Salem
- Parkway Brewing Company in Salem
- Soaring Ridge Craft Brewers in Roanoke
- Starr Hill Pilot Brewery & Side Stage in Roanoke
- Sunken City Brewing Company in Hardy
- Twin Creeks Brewing Company in Vinton
- White Rock Brewery in Goodview
Can't make it out? Stop by Wine Gourmet and browse our vast selection of craft beers, including our Virginia Beers section, to find something extraordinary!
For more information on the business of beer, click here to check out this in depth article from Virginia Business!